Friday, May 27, 2011

A few tips

Bad Sinus Infection
Means no hikes for me this week

I have been suffering from seasonal allergies, like many people are, and this week I went to the doctors.  I was told I have a sinus infection and was sent home with some antibiotics and a nasal spray.  I decided it would probably be best I stay indoors for the week until I am feeling better so I thought I would give a few suggestions and tips in relation to clothing to wear while hiking.

Long Pants
Always a must!  Even in the 90 degree weather.

Always wear long pants!  That is a tough lesson I learned first hand.  I had gone on a hike one summer afternoon and thought it would be ok to wear a pair of athletic shorts.  Not only did I get numerous bug bits and a small patch of poison ivy, but I also had a lot of cuts all over.  That was the last time I wore shorts during a hike.  For those really hot day I suggest light weight yoga pants or breathable spandex.  Jeans are always a good idea but they can get a bit clingy on the hot days.  Stick to light colors and breathable fabrics.

Sneakers…
Not always the proper choice.

While wearing sneakers may be a good choice for flat terrain or maybe even slightly rocky walks, majority of the time you will want to wear hiking boots.  Although one might assume wearing heavy boots is not a good idea, they provide very important ankle support.  A good pair of hiking boots may be a bit of an investment so make sure the pair you chose has both high top ankle supports, a good grip on the bottom as well as strong laces.



Always Stretch
Even if you are going on a short, easy hike.

Many people under estimate the importance of stretching before, and after a hike.  Be sure to do a few hamstring and calf stretches before starting out your hike.  These are the muscles you will use the most during your hike especially when walking up-hill.  The last thing you want to happen is to be halfway through a hike and have to stop because you have pulled something.  Most importantly after the hike be sure to do a few stretches before hopping into your car.  This will prevent soreness from creeping in the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment