Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rain Rain Go AWAY!

I thought April showers were over...

It has been raining all weekend long so I haven’t been able to go on a hike.  So instead of writing about my hiking experience this week I thought I would explain some of the basics I bring with me for every hike.  My list may seem a bit long but it has been created based on numerous hikes and years of experience.

In my backpack

First and foremost I always bring water with me.  Even if you are only hiking for a mile you should bring water to make sure you maintained hydrated throughout your journey.  For those longer hikes I make sure to pack a protein bar and some fruit.  A lot of the hikes I go on are over five miles and having a protein bar or an apple halfway through my hike gives me a boost of energy that I sometimes need.  If possible I always bring a map of the trails I will be hiking.  I find these on websites for the park before hand or at a visitor’s center.  I like to make sure I know where I am going before I begin or where to go if I wander off the trail a bit.  I also always make sure to have a few Band-Aids handy.  Nothing is worse than being a mile into a hike and realize your boots are giving you a blister.  You won’t be able to enjoy your hike and you’ll be stuck with a painful sore on your foot for a few days.

Bag’s all packed!  What else should I do?

I’m not sure how many people saw the movie 127 Hours but it sends out a very clear message: tell people where you are going.  Before leaving on any hike, weather I am going with a group or by myself, I always tell someone who is not going with me where I will be.  By doings so, I have ensure that someone will know where I am if something happens.  A bit paranoid, maybe, but I like to play it safe.  I have looked at the weather for the weekend and it looks like more rain but hopefully things will clear up so I can get back on the trails soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment